Arifien Neif was born as the eldest son of 11 siblings on 31 March 1955 in Surabaya, East Java, Indonesia.
His talent in art was inherited from his grandmother who likes to make handicrafts.
Since he was in the early elementary school until he finished high school in Surabaya, Arifien regularly took part and won many art competitions.
His dream of continuing his study in art could not be fulfilled because of the family economical condition.
In 1974 Arifien went to Jakarta to try his luck.
For more than 6 years, he experienced many kinds of professions: as a stonemason, as a waitress in restaurants, as an interior designer assistant. He also worked in an advertising industry for some time, and he once did some animated films for PFN.
His great interest and passion towards arts had made him spent most of his income and his time to pursue his ambition in Arts, and in 1980 Arifien made up his mind to fulfill his dream. From that time on, he fully concentrated of becoming a professional artist.
His great effort, discipline, integrity and passion had made him find his very own special style of painting. Arifien’s painting is rich of characters and style.
Significantly, his experience in interior design sensitized him to his interior angle in his paintings, how he arranged the properties of space in his paintings, and how he carved space with objects.
He kept developing his talent. Up till now he had created many art works on canvas, on paper, and on ceramics. He also made sculpture, and did some architecture and interior design.
Arifien had never got any formal art study, so he was regarded as a self taught artist.
Curators called his style of painting Fauvism.
But he never really bothered, he didn’t mind to which group or art style, they would categorize his work. Arifien just wanted to create more and more......
- 2008 “Fine Romance“, National Museum of Singapore, organized by Zola Zolu
- 2004 “Indonesia Molek, Surga Yang Hilang“, Ceramic Painting, Santi Gallery Jakarta
- 2003 “Don’t Worry be Happy, Be My Valentine”, Canna Gallery Jakarta
- 2001 “Hitam Putih“, Mixed Media on Paper, Santi Gallery Jakarta
- 2000 “From Indonesia With Love“, Indonesia consulate LA, California
- 1997 “Pelabuhan Hati“, Santi Gallery Jakarta
- 1995 Exhibition in Lorin & Kristi Art Gallery, Singapore
- 1990 Exhibition in Chase Plaza Jakarta
- 1989 Exhibition in Bin House Jakarta
- 1985 Exhibition in Mitra Budaya Jakarta
- 2007 Singapore Art Fair 2007, associate with Drawing Gallery, Singapore
- 2006 Singapore Art Fair 2006, associate with Zola Zolu Gallery, Bandung
- 2006 China International Gallery Exposition, associate with Vanesa Artlink
- 2006 Time & Sign, associate with Vanesa Artlink
- 2005 Charity for ‘Vincentius Putra‘, Panti Asuhan Katolik Jakarta
- 2004 "Kecil Itu Indah“, Charity for Aceh, Edwin Gallery, Jakarta
- 2003 "Kecil Itu Indah“, Edwin Gallery, Jakarta
- 1997 "Ceramic Art Fair”, Milan, Italy
- 1994 Regent Hotel Jakarta